Leanyer School is committed to working with Department of Education to support our students and families. The latest information provided yesterday evening (13 March) by the Department of Education on self-isolation and mass gatherings regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) is:
If you are in doubt, remember to go back to the consistent advice that continues to come from the health authorities.
- People who are not sick are urged not to seek COVID-19 testing.
- If you are sick with symptoms and meet the criteria i.e. you have travelled overseas in the last 14 days or have had close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19, then you will be tested.
- If you are sick but do not meet the criteria – you will not be tested.
- More broadly, if you are sick, please don’t attend work or school.
- For the latest information for to the Australian Government Department of Health website: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov
- You can also contact the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
Yesterday the Chief Minister for the Northern Territory publicly advised that:
“While the spread of the virus continues to be low, Australia’s Chief Health and Medical Officers have recommended that, from Monday, governments advise against organised, non-essential gatherings of 500 or more people.
This does not include essential gatherings such as going to school, university, work, public transport or airports.”
Please find a link below to a video message from Professor Di Stephens, the Deputy Health Officer for the Northern Territory Department of Health.
This is sensible advice that is coming from a health expert.
The Department of Education is developing a pandemic planning template for schools and divisions to complete that aligns with the whole of government pandemic plan.
We are anticipating that the plans will be finalised and provided to schools and division heads in week commencing 23 March 2020.
Leanyer School will continue to keep you informed. If, in the meantime, you have any questions or comments, please contact the School.